TSCF calls on social media giants to respect freedom of speech.
In recent months, Google, Facebook, YouTube and other social media have taken steps to silence controversial or unorthodox viewpoints.
These platforms would know what is the “right” information and where is the “tolerant” point of view. They accuse the alternative approaches of disseminating “fake news” or indulging into “hate speech”.
As a few striking examples of the new censorship on the social media, they cracked down on:
– David Icke for questioning the prevailing orthodoxy regarding the COVID-19 pandemic,
– Zero Hedge for not blocking reader comments that would violate Google’s policies on race,
– The Federalist for allegedly tolerating racist remarks posted in its comments section.
This form of social control – large corporations with control over information colluding with governments and lobbies to stifle dissent – is a dangerous slope for democracy. It must be definitely rejected.
The Social Capital Foundation calls on the social media corporations to:
– take a neutral line as to which information should be on their platforms,
– to encourage citizens to share and discuss freely their respective opinions,
– to respect freedom of speech as per the First Amendment of the American Constitution.